Professor Jennings is reading...

Home
By: Marilynne Robinson

Although no one but me would notice, I’m a little sheepish about recommending Marilynne Robinson’s new book, Home, given that in last month’s Bowdoin magazine I recommended the new president read Robinson’s earlier book Gilead. I do read other authors—really—but I love Robinson’s writing. Her language is exquisite and her stories are lovingly told. Home is a companion book to Gilead in that Robinson continues the lives of many of the characters from the first book. In Home a sister and brother return home as adults after troubling experiences in their lives to live with their aged father, a pastor in the small, rural town of Gilead, Iowa. The novel is set in the late 1950s. What I love about Home and Gilead is that Robinson asks the big questions—what does it mean to come home, do we deserve to be loved—in a place and with characters who are simple and sparse. I grew up in Chicago in the 1950s but have relatives who still live in rural Iowa towns like Gilead. As a kid I spent time on their farms in Bode, Ft. Dodge, St. Joe’s. Robinson’s portrayal of Gilead reminds me so much of that time and place in my own life.

Find in Library