Thando Khumalo '23 is reading...

Americanah
By: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

In Americanah, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie reveals the life of Ifemelu, a young woman who struggles to reconcile her new American way of thinking and the culture of her home country, Nigeria. As a child of Zimbabwean parents myself, I found myself nodding along at certain moments in a way I never have while reading other books. Awkward conversations in African hair salons and tiptoeing around issues with conservative relatives to name a few. Adichie does a wonderful job capturing the experience of the African girl at an American University.

This book might also satisfy your need for love during quarantine. Adichie depicts Ifemelu’s tender first love and allows us a glimpse into how tricky rekindling old love can be. If you are looking to incorporate more Black narratives into reading list, this could be the perfect addition.

Note from a Librarian: Thando Khumalo has also curated an incredible list of books by and about Black people, please check it out for further reading recommendations!

Find in Library

One Reply to “Thando Khumalo”

1. I wish you had been here a few years ago! Ms. Adichie came to Bowdoin and received an honorary degree. This was after a good number of us read Americanah as the College’s winter book choice. She gave a talk in Studzinski that was amazing. I have never seen Studz so crowded–and the audience was 100% with her. I love Americanah.

Your reading list is very impressive. If/when the call for suggestions for the winter break book selection comes, will you please make a pitch?