Prof. Hecht is reading...

Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls​: 100 tales of extraordinary women
By: Elena Favilli and Francesca Cavallo

A couple of months ago, while browsing at Royal River Books in Yarmouth, my daughter and I stumbled across Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls​. “Great choice,” the woman at the counter told us. “I can barely keep this one on the shelf.” I had never heard of it, but we quickly discovered why it’s so popular: the book is a beautifully illustrated collection of mini-biographies of 100 different brave, creative, influential, and inspiring women. It is carefully crafted to represent different eras, geographies, and professions. Some of the subjects are well known — such as Marie Curie, Amelia Earhart, and Michelle Obama. Others are more obscure (to me, at least). We were fascinated by the stories of Ashley Fiolek, a motocross racer who was born deaf, or the transgender student Coy Mathis. Each biography consists of one page with a picture on the opposite side, making it the perfect length for bedtime – or binge — reading. The book also has a fascinating history; it came about because the authors were lamenting the lack of choice they had in presenting different kinds of female role models to young audiences. And it was published largely through funds raised via Kickstarter. Adults as well as kids can learn a lot from the book – and not just about the people featured. It stands as a great example of how we can do a better job with the stories we tell our daughters (and sons, friends, and ourselves.)

Find in Library