Sinead Lamel '15 is reading...

Notes of a Native Son
By: James Baldwin

For anyone trying to wrap their minds around the ever-complex race relations in the U.S., I would highly recommend reading some of James Baldwin’s writing. This is a book of essays and vignettes, where he reflects on experiences he’s had and his opinions on anything from Uncle Tom’s Cabin to studying abroad. Despite the fact that this book was written decades ago, it remains sadly relevant to today’s world. I especially love his reflections about Miss Ophelia in Uncle Tom’s Cabin, an abolitionist who blindly condemns slavery as immoral, but still feels repulsed by individual black people. Here and elsewhere in his writing, James Baldwin challenges Americans (especially white Americans) to reflect deeply on the racist attitudes we hold, though it may be uncomfortable. Rejecting something because you are told it is wrong will not bring about meaningful change. He was a contemporary of Malcolm X, and this becomes apparent when you read him. If you prefer reading fiction, I’d also recommend his novel Another Country. Many thanks to my sister Althea for the great Christmas present!

Find in Library

3 Replies to “Sinead Lamel ’15”

1. One of my college friends became Baldwin’s assistant after graduation, and she moved to Paris to work for him. We all thought that was incomparably glamorous! I was even more impressed once I read some of Baldwin’s beautiful work. My favorite used to be Giovanni’s Room. Now I feel inspired to read him again. Thanks.

2. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your insightful review of Notes of A Native Son and even more your bringing back to our attention James Baldwin. He is a fine writer who contributed much to whatever growth we have manged as a society. I just recently re-discovered “Go Tell it on the Mountain” and decided to re-read. It feels different this time around. His prose is almost like music. Thanks for this review. I would also like to see that documentary!